Monday, May 25, 2009

Icon Analysis 2-2




The three contemporary popular culture icons I have chosen are Elmo, Superman and Madonna.

I actually did not grow up with Elmo but right after I came to America I feel in love with the furry monster. Elmo is the star and main puppet from popular children’s show Sesame Street. Elmo has been around for 24 years although he has not been in the original cast of the show. This red furry monster with a mind of four years old is extremely popular among toddlers and young children. To me Elmo is impersonating of everything playful, happy, loving and curious that is hiding inside four years old.





My second character does not need an extra introduction. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it is a Superman! This character has been around since 1938. Today he has much more competition than ever. He has to compete for the popularity with all kinds of new heroes. However, that does not trouble him at all. Superman is still one of the most recognized icons all around the world. Every decade a new Superman stories are made into the movies, cartoons, video game and everything that you can imagine. I remember superman from a show with Christopher Reeve that I use to watch as a child. Superman as a character was always a symbol of heroism without the need of recognition to me.





Last, one of my icons is Madonna. For so many years, Madonna seems to never stop. Music, books, film, clothing lines, charities and all kinds of other stuff made this icon very easy to recognize. Madonna’s first album appeared in 1983 and since then she recorded eleven albums. She has also made 22 movies and directed one in last year. Madonna will turn 41 this year but her fan base is anywhere from 10 to 80. I personally do not thing that Madonna is a great singer, actress or designer but she is a genius marketing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment