Monday, June 8, 2009

Assignment 4-1


Weekly Written Analysis 4

Since I already used the reality show The Hills for the other assignment this week I decided to just go with it for the analysis too. It seems like in last few years there has just been rash of reality shows. We all could probably agree that none of them have much of artistic or intellectual value. Some of them are interesting to watch like The Amazing Race or The Passport for example. There are few that I absolutely cannot stand.

One of them is the VH1 reality show The Hills. For those of you that did not see The Hills yet let me explain you what is the show about. There are few main characters, somewhere between 20 and 30 years old rich L.A. kids, their time is filled with lunches with friends, partying, vacationing or shopping. Their conversations are mainly about gossip, relationship problems or what restaurant are they going to dine. Very few of them have been ever shown working and I could not tell you what any of them are doing or where does their money come from. There is something about the bunch of young, rich, unintelligent people that have not added anything into the society that really annoys me. Especially when there are so many young people those are hard working and have accomplished so much. I would not have that much against this show if the “real” people in it would not be made to be such a celebrities. Call me crazy, but to me a celebrity should have at least some talent. I do not understand the cult following this show. Why do admire people that never worked and got everything handed to them? Maybe it is all about wishing it was us. I am sure that there are many people that wish they had been born rich and they do not have to go to work and school every day. It is an idea, that I am sure all of us have think about before. What if I was born rich? I do think about how much easier my life would be with wealth. On the other side, when I turn on the TV and see what money does to peoples character and perception of life I am glad I was born poor.

The Hills – if you have not seen it you have certainly not miss much. The description of the cast members could as well be rich, young, white, skinny and useless. I cannot help but wonder what young people see in this show. Why do we look up to rich and pathetic?

1 comment:

  1. Eliska-
    I have never watched the show and have no desire to (especially now reading your post!). I agree, I don't know why we tranform low-grade actors to such a celebrity status. Society is obsessed with the young and rich and feel the need to know everything they do-seriously do we need to get a message on Twitter telling us someone just stopped for coffee? I don't know if it is all escapism, we just want for a moment to lose ourselves in the fantasy of the actors. Especially now with so many facing tough times, maybe this provides some mental relief for them. Or, is this the dream we are selling to our kids-"you don't have to work hard, just look good". I'm hoping it's the escapism!

    ReplyDelete